Sep 6, 2011

Dubstep for Big Dummies!

I recently embarked upon an exploration of electronic music, hoping to reignite my passion for indie and folk rock by subjecting my brain to the non-organic noise of remixes, mash-ups, and sampling. Please keep in mind I have no idea what some of these words mean and may be using them incorrectly, albeit confidently. Putting aside my snobbish distaste for synthesized sounds, I consulted a local expert to guide me through the big, baffling world of electronica. The following is a summary of my findings thus far:

1. Dubstep = 140 beats per minute. Some DJs (artists? claim to make (spin? play? produce?) dubstep, but they don't know what it means. I can relate to that. I think I will like dubstep the best, because wikipedia says it's instrumental with a commonly dark "feel" and dissonant harmonies. I adore dissonance.

2. Tiesto is one of the most accomplished and influential producers of electronica, but he doesn't have a crown to prove it, so I'm not convinced. Also, I listened to his stuff on MySpace and it bored me.

3. Glow sticks are optional. This was disappointing to me.

Stay tuned for more educational words from the electronically ignorant.

2 comments:

  1. Haha,Tiesto. Spins trance. And it is boring to me too. But live he puts on a show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taco Tiesto. I take my trances with a dash of Tiesto.

    ReplyDelete