May 12, 2011

Dig on New Grooves

Cameron McGill & What Army released their latest album, Is a Beast, a few weeks ago, and I'm just listening to it now for the first time. It fills me with regret that I missed their release show at Schuba's, because this is a pretty spectacular album. More complex than the stripped-down and sweet Warm Songs for Cold Shoulders, and maybe a little more polished or ambitious than Hold On Beauty (both fabulous albums which I highly recommend), it offers all the lyrical insight that first inspired my enthusiasm for Cameron's music. More impressive, however, is the sheer mastery with which the band intertwines horns, strings, drums, and, or course, harmonica and ivory, around Cameron's slightly cocky yet irresistible and captivating voice.

Music is beyond words, so ignore everything I just said and listen to the album for yourself here:
http://cameronmcgill.bandcamp.com/album/is-a-beast

No comments:

Post a Comment